THE KING RUFUS WELCOMES ALL
The King Rufus is now a Free house and is under new ownership. The King Rufus has been a pub more or less continuously since 1850 as far as can be determined from public records. The pub is of typical Victorian construction and a building of some sort was present here at the time of the Doomsday book. It is thought the name of the pub comes from the fact that the surname of the first landlord was Purkess, the same name as the peasant who transported the body of King William Rufus from the New Forest after his untimely death in a mysterious hunting 'accident'
The pub retains its traditional rustic atmosphere with a cozy log fire, traditional real cask ales (Cask Marque), lagers, ciders, spirits and soft drinks and Friday night meat draw. We are promoting Gastro pub food using locally sourced produce and meats, wherever possible, allowing us to be part of the New Forest Marque. We are dog & family friendly. In the summer come and enjoy our lovely beer garden and dine Al Fresco style.The pub is situated close to one of the oldest churches in the New Forest, St. Mary's which dates back to Saxon times. Also just down the road is Eling tide mill. The King Rufus is right on the edge of the New Forest National Park, just the place to stop for a drink and meal after your forest walk or visit to the Eling Tide Mill.